Michigan Hillel’s staff and student leaders are here to be a resource for all freshmen and their families. We hope the links below will help you navigate through this new adventure and we welcome you to reach out to us with any additional questions you may have.
University of Michigan Resources
– Maize & Blueprint: University’s Guide to Living, Learning & Working Together Safely
– UM Virtual Resources & Virtual Tour Video
– Out of State Admitted Student Receptions
– Interactive Campus Map
– Campus Centers & Resources
– Jody Gore, a partner to our Hillel within UM Admissions
Housing Info Received as of 7/21/20
– Up to date Move-In information & Housing information
– Hotels in/near Ann Arbor
– Parents Weekend 2020 Information
Move-In Appointments – Move-in will be highly scheduled this year. Tentatively, UM is planning for 1-2 hour time slots to pull in and drop off student belongings. There may be short term parking curbside in many places; however, some buildings do not have much street parking.
Move-In Makers student help – Due to physical distancing, Move-In Makers are not available this year. Students are able to bring one parent or friend to help them move in, and all will need to wear face coverings. UM will provide some blue bins/carts on wheels, but students are welcome to bring hand trucks or dollies to assist in moving their things.
Family Assistance – As mentioned above, UM will only be allowing one person in the residence hall to assist the student with move-in at a time. That said, families can work as a team to switch (i.e. One parent may help move boxes in and then the other parent may go in to unpack).
Accessing Mcards – If the student submitted a photo for the Mcard by the deadline, it will be mailed to the address provided by early July. If that was not the case, the student will get their card at move-in or at the Mcard office. Students without an Mcard upon arrival on campus may use their photo ID drivers license to check in to their residence hall.
Regarding COVID Testing – A Housing representative has shared, “An institutional decision is still under review regarding covid testing. We, too, are awaiting that decision as this is not a Housing decision, but an institutional decision that will be implemented broadly.”
Regarding University Requested Quarantine Protocol –
- If the student/family has traveled internationally (outside of the United States) and has NOT been able to quarantine for 14 days in the US prior to arriving on-campus, they will be asked to quarantine in a different location in on-campus apartments for this period. Michigan Housing will provide this housing at no additional cost and will help coordinate with them.
- If the student/family has travelled domestically in the United States only, it is advised that they self-quarantine in their current home for 14 days prior to arriving on campus.
Kosher Food on Campus
– Kosher dining in South Quad
An MDining representative has shared, “For the coming fall semester, our Dining Halls are accessible only to meal plan holders due to our COVID safety protocols. No guests will be allowed into any of our Dining Halls on campus and we will not be accepting Blue Bucks, Dining Dollars, or credit cards in the Dining Halls either as we do our best to keep our students and staff safe. That said, our Kosher meals will be available at the South Quad Blue Cafe (whenever that Kosher Kitchen is open) and students and/ or guests may use their meal plan, Blue Bucks ,or Dining Dollars (no credit cards) to obtain a Kosher meal from the South Quad Blue Cafe.
Hillel Programmatic Info
– FreshConnect our “choose your own adventure” for getting plugged in to Jewish community on campus through 4 new, specific programs in the Fall 2020 semester
– 40+ student-led groups to get involved with
– Shabbat with Hillel
– Kosher food at the Hillel Café
Hillel Social Media Channels for Students
– Instagram: @MichiganHillel
– Facebook: Michigan Hillel Class of 2024
– Remind Channels:
Class of 2021 – Text @hillel2021 to 81010
Class of 2022 – Text @hillel2022 to 81010
Class of 2023 – Text @hillel2023 to 81010
Class of 2024 – Text @hillel2024 to 81010
Shabbat Info – Text @hillelshab to 81010
Hillel Virtual Visits
If you missed our Virtual Visits in April, we have a recording we can share, as well as, we can schedule personal Zoom Chats. Contact Caroline.