What is “Host at Home”?
The “Host at Home” program empowers students to host a Shabbat or holiday meal and create community beyond the walls of Hillel. By hosting a meal, students have the ability to escape the typically busy and stressful day-to-day of college life. Students have the opportunity to invite their peers and make Judaism more accessible to students on campus in a comfortable setting that they choose.
Interested in Hosting a High Holiday Meal?
How does the process work for Shabbat?
1. Decide to Host: sign up HERE! Please sign up at least a week in advance.
2. Plan with Hillel: a member of the Hillel “Host at Home” team will reach out to you and help you plan your meal. Hillel can reimburse you $10 per guest for up to 15 guests (total of $150).
3. You host! Enjoy your meal with friends over great conversation, delicious food, and the Shabbat or holiday spirit.
4. Tell us how it went. Share the highlights from your hosting experience and get reimbursed for your meal. Remember to save all receipts!
Questions? Email [email protected]
Order Fresh Challah through “Challah for Hunger”
Volunteer and Make Challah for “Challah for Hunger”
FREE Compostable Tableware
U of M sustainability initiatives supports zero-waste events! You can get free compostable plates, cups, etc.
- Go to: http://sustainability.umich.edu/zero-waste
- Find the “materials request form”
- Fill out the form, for student group list “Michigan Hillel: Host at Home”
Following your meal, Hillel will reimburse you at a rate of $10 per student for up to 15 students with a maximum total of $150. In order to be reimbursed, you need to complete the Reimbursement Form.
The form will ask you to:
Answer some follow-up questions
Upload a photo/scan of your receipt(s) for reimbursement. Hillel is only able to reimburse you if you show your original receipts. Note: we only reimburse for food, not alcohol. If you are purchasing other items not for your meal, please ring them up on a separate receipt.
Upload any photos of your event you want to share.
Fill out an attendance form with the names and emails of guests, including yourself.