There’s nothing like a fresh home-made challah, the familiar smell of delicious food
and a warm welcoming community to attract hundreds of students every Shabbat…
This defines the Shabbat program at Michigan Hillel – our strongest, most attended student program, averaging 350 students each week. We find this program enhances students’ Jewish lives on campus, offering a sense of community; expression of Jewish values; and an outlet for independent, interactive exploration of Jewish practice across a diverse, vibrant spectrum.
Our goal for Hillel’s Shabbat program is to provide varying opportunities to engage with, explore and celebrate Shabbat together as a campus family. We offer four student-led services that are optional and open to all. Immediately following services, all students are invited to join us for a gourmet kosher dinner, prepared by our own Chef Emil. Each week, a student group of Michigan Hillel “hosts” Shabbat – announcing their upcoming events, serving dinner to student attendees and preparing a Friday Night Learning opportunity for students after dinner.
SPONSORING A SHABBAT:
Annually, our Shabbat expenses are $150,000. To help support this program, generous parents, alumni, community supporters, and organizations will often Sponsor specific Shabbat events.
- The $5,000 Sponsorship Level covers a full Shabbat for 350 students
- The $1,000 Sponsorship Level covers a small-group Shabbat for groups such as the law school, MedX, JENGA (Jewish engineers), etc.
If you are interested in sponsoring a Shabbat, we would be happy to help you choose the perfect week! With over 55+ student groups, we will do our best to match your Sponsorship with a Student Group Host whose interests closely align with yours. Please contact Stacy Carroll at [email protected] or 734-569-0500.
SHABBAT EVENT/DATE OPPORTUNITIES:
For this academic uear, below is a small sample of Shabbat Sponsorship opportunities available:
- 1st Shabbat of the Semester & our Freshmen and Family Shabbat (average 550-600 students)
- 2nd Shabbat of the Semester (average 550-600 students)
- Sukkot Shabbat
- Chanukah Shabbat
- Purim Shabbat
- Homecoming Shabbat
- Parents Weekend Shabbat
- University & Faculty Shabbat
- Camp Tamarack Shabbat
- Women’s Shabbat
STUDENT GROUP HOSTS TO PARTNER WITH:
- Jewish Women’s Forum
- Jewish Detroit Initiative
- First Year Students of Hillel (FYSH)
- Mensch (freshmen and sophomore mentor group)
- Ahava (LGBTQ and Allies group)
- Hayerukim (The Greens)
- Kol HaKavod (Jewish a cappella group)
- Challah for Hunger
- Hillel Ice Hockey Team
- Maize & Blue Games
- Tamid (Israel investment group)
- Israel Cohort
- Religious Life Cohort (all four service communities)
- Social Action Cohort
- Culture Cohort
- Dialogue and Identify Cohort and so many more!